Sat, Jan 11|
Castle Clinton National Monument
Alexander Hamilton's Birthday Tour
An Unforgettable Tribute to our Only Immigrant Founding Father!
Time & Location
Jan 11, 2020, 12:30 PM – 4:00 PM
Castle Clinton National Monument, Battery Park, New York, NY 10004, USA
About The Event
Start Time: 12:30pm
Location: Castle Clinton National Monument - Inside the castle by the restrooms.
This tour will be a celebration of Hamilton's life and accomplishments including his helping to establish the American Gov't, as the key advocate for the U.S, Constitution, creating system of banking and finance, his role in the American Revolution, and much more.
Tour will cover the Wall Street area and Lower Manhattan with a visit to the Harlem neighborhood named for him -- Hamilton Heights, stopping at The Grange, the only home Hamilton ever owned. Our guided walk will also serve as an exploring of Manhattan's history from the time it was a Dutch trading post in the early 1600's through the early 20th century.
NOTE: BRING AN ACTIVE METROCARD AS WE WILL BE TAKING THE SUBWAY FROM THE FINANCIAL DISTRICT TO HAMILTON HEIGHTS. RESTROOMS ARE AVAILABLE AT OUR MEETING PLACE AT CASTLE CLINTON. DO HAVE BREAKFAST OR LUNCH BEFOREHAND. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED SUGGESTIONS. FEEL FREE TO BRING SNACKS.
Stops on the tour include:
1) Sites where Hamilton lived and worked
2) Where he wrote the Federalist Papers, which was an elaborate defense and advocacy document in support of the U.S. Constitution.
3) Site of the "Deal" ("the room where it happened") dinner gathering where Hamilton, Jefferson and Madison hashed out an agreement which dramatically changed affected American History.
4) Hamilton's final resting place at Trinity Church cemetery.
5) Hamilton Grange (free admission), the restored home operated by the National Park Service, that was completed in the year 1800, which features a museum display and period rooms.
6) Optional toast to Hamilton at a nearby establishment (at 4pm).
The tour formally ends approximately at 4:00pm, convenient to the A,C,D subways at 145th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue and the #1 at 137th or 145th Street and Broadway. Also bus routes on nearby Amsterdam Avenue with connections to the 2,3,4,5, and Metro North on 125th Street.
Note - for people wishing to go on their own for a full day of events at Hamilton Grange, see this link: